Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Guest blogger rates Napa Rose!

I'm always talking about my friend Danielle because usually she is with me on my dining adventures, so it seemed rather appropriate that she would be my guest blogger today. Danielle went to the Napa Rose in Disneyland. I was eagerly awaiting her review as I had heard it was pretty good and had tried to get in once but it was booked (I ended up at the Storyteller's Cafe that night which is also in the Grand Californian. No comment.) Thanks for the great review Danielle.

Here we go!

Just wanted to share with you my experience at Napa Rose last night.

Although Stephanie said the wine pairing was actually quite good, we both agreed that the food was a bit lackluster for the price and for how the restaurant is touted as high-end for Napa Valley cuisine. She said she's had better experiences/meals on other occasions with her class and instructors when they dine out like this.

Each dish was tasty, but they all had some minor setbacks (save for dessert). The diver scallop was only lukewarm, the mushroom bisque was too bland (it needed salt, and I don't often add salt to dishes served to me), the ravioli either had not enough chicken or mushroom as the bed, and the lobster risotto was slightly on the the salty side as well.


My favorites were the butternut squash ravioli, which was piping hot and sooooo yummy, but I wish I had a plate-full of those for the rest of my meal! The salmon itself was quite delicious, and it was a generous portion. The dessert was wonderful, too! All in all, it was a nice meal, but nothing to recommend as stellar.

The menu was something like this:
Diver scallop with chunks of lobster in a lemon sauce and a hint of vanilla.
Butternut squash ravioli on a bed of chicken and mushroom.
Mushroom "cappuccino" bisque.
Grilled salmon on a bed of lobster risotto.

Scharffen Berger chocolate (flourless) cake with chocolate chunk ice cream.

Enjoy!
D.

6 Comments:

At February 08, 2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Danielle said...

Thanks for posting my review, Kimberly! However, you might want to delete the numbers behind each menu item, since they designated the photo for each item...LOL! Also, can you post the pic of the dessert? It was the best part of the meal! I still think you should go there anyway. We had a fixed menu on this occasion, so I'm not aware of what else is offered at Napa Rose. Worth a try, especially if your friend works at Disneyland! :)

 
At February 08, 2006 10:54 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Oh. I was wondering what the heck those numbers were. DUH.

Ok going to go fix...

I didn't think the desert looked special even if it was the best part. But since you took it I will put it up for you. :)

 
At February 08, 2006 11:59 AM, Blogger elmomonster said...

I've been to Napa Rose, and it seems like if you had a similar experience: Good but not stellar.

Thanks Kimberly and Danielle.

 
At February 08, 2006 12:27 PM, Anonymous Danielle said...

Thanks for posting the pic! Oh, and I bet your salmon next week will be even better! Shall we say Monday night? :)

 
At June 26, 2006 3:24 PM, Blogger uninvitedsaint said...

Just stumbled on your blog, but I see it has been a while since you last posted. Hope to see some more. I left OC many years ago in search of something better to eat and landed in the bay area. It is good to see that there is much more in OC to eat now!

 
At December 14, 2009 11:17 AM, Anonymous vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home